BECOME A YFIW CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR
YOGA FOR INCARCERATED WOMEN is currently accepting applications from female volunteers to teach yoga and meditation to women serving jail and prison sentences. You do not have to be a certified yoga instructor. You do need to have a dedicated practice and a working knowledge of yoga and meditation, and the ability to lead. Teaching yoga to incarcerated people is rewarding and intrinsically fulfilling. but please only apply if you can commit.
The process to apply is as follows:
- The process from application to teaching is approximately five months.
- Email us a statement of intent. Tell us more about about yourself and why you would like to teach to the incarcerated. Please take into consideration that we currently teach on Saturday mornings and need up to 4-5 hour blocks of commitments per class.
- You will be contacted to fill out an application. Applications must obtained in person and cannot be emailed. Read carefully: Please print and complete your application. It must be notarized, accompanied with a color copy of a government-issued photo ID (Driver's license, Passport, U.S. military ID (active duty or retired military and their dependents, and DoD civilians), Permanent resident card). Your application will be hand delivered to the correctional facility. Incomplete applications will be rejected.
- Once your application clears an initial background check you will be contacted by a Deputy Sheriff investigator for a face-to-face meeting at your home. Please note that your friends, contacts, and neighbors may also be contacted.
- When the investigator submits an approval of your application, you will be contacted to come to the correctional facility for “live scan” (fingerprinting).
- After your fingerprints are cleared, you will be contacted again to attend a 90 minute orientation at the facility, which includes a lecture and a film on incarceration protocol.
- Your name will then be added to the non-escort list for the correctional facility we are now teaching at.
- However, before entering the facility to teach, Instructors In Training are required to attend a three-hour YFIW orientation.
- Instructors In Training are required to shadow a Certified Instructor in an initial observation to become acquainted with the facility, personnel, prisoners, and prison systems.
- New instructors will then pair up with other Certified Instructors and teach five times on their own. After your 5th session, you will have earned your certification as a YFIW Instructor.
- Once certified, you will have access to teach on your own or partner with another instructor(s) for support - if desired.
Thank you for your interest in teaching yoga and meditation to the incarcerated!